The Fairness Foundation works to change the debate around fairness in order to build a fairer society. We are a registered charity (number 1044174) and are non-party-political. Our geographic focus is on England, although on some issues we look across the United Kingdom.
Our objectives and approach
Our vision is a Britain where everyone has the ‘fair necessities’ (essentials, opportunities, rewards, exchange and treatment), made possible by building a consensus about what a fair society and economy looks like.
Our mission is to deliver that consensus by:
- Building a vision for a fairer society and showing that this has broad support across a range of issues
- Inspiring partner organisations to use fairness to reach and influence key audiences
- Persuading decision-makers and influencers of the need to achieve fairness by reducing inequality
We focus on ten issues that span the full range of areas of society and the economy: democracy, education, the environment, health, housing, justice, social security, taxation, wealth and work.
Our approach is to combine:
- Looking across the whole of society and the economy
- Defining people’s sense of fairness in a way that has majority support
- Understanding public attitudes and people’s underlying values
- Focusing on the issues that unite people
- Championing solutions with broad public and political appeal
- Promoting existing research and policy ideas
- Framing the arguments in ways that resonate across the political divide
- Being strictly non-partisan and non-party-political
- Presenting information in compelling ways that capture people’s attention
- Mobilising business and other unusual voices to get our messages across
- Helping partner organisations to reach and influence new audiences
We work in partnership with a group of expert contributors, who we collaborate with on specific projects on an individual, ad hoc basis.
Membership of this group does not automatically imply broader endorsement of the views or activities of the Fairness Foundation, or vice versa.
Coalitions and networks
We are proud to be members of the following coalitions and networks:
People and organisations consulted
We consulted with a wide range of people and organisations during the scoping and design phase of setting up the Fairness Foundation (in addition to the people listed above on our board and editorial board, and in our expert contributors network).
During the scoping phase we found strong and wide-ranging support for the creation of an organisation focusing on changing the terms of the debate around fairness.
Many thanks to the people and organisations below who generously gave their time and expertise to help us. We are keen to hear from other organisations with whom we have not yet had the opportunity to discuss our plans and opportunities for collaboration.
The inclusion of people on the list below does not necessarily mean that they or their organisation endorse our strategy, views or activities.